Saturday, May 16, 2021

Whenever an old episode of “Good Times” pops up that includes the bit character Lenny, I can’t help but wonder whatever happened to Dap Sugar Willie. Who, as you can see from the album cover above, was from north Philadelphia.

The online record is pretty thin. While he made a handful of movie and TV appearances in the ’70s and ’80s, his bigger claim to fame was as a local standup comic who released a couple of Redd Foxx-style adults-only comedy albums. In fact, it appears that he and Foxx were compatriots, which led to Willie’s first television gigs on “Sanford and Son”. But there’s scant information about Willie after his heyday. There’s an unconfirmed report of his death a few years back; if he is still alive, he’s dropped well out of sight.

Not that Willie was a remarkable onscreen presence. But there was something about him that was memorable: The cadence in the way he delivered his lines, that weird longhair-moustache facial combo, and especially that handbrush he would pull out to brush himself off after getting dissed. One of a kind, if nothing else.

by Costa Tsiokos, Sat 05/16/2009 07:10pm
Category: Celebrity, Comedy, TV
| Permalink |

6 Feedbacks
  1. I GREW UP IN PHILLY BACK IN THE DAY WHERE EVERYBODY KNEW WHO DAP SUGAR WAS, HE OFTEN APPEARED AT THE UPTOWN THEATRE IN NORTH PHILLY AT THE GEORGIE WOODS ROCK N ROLL SHOWS, I REMEMBER WHEN HE MADE THE BIG TIME BY APPEARING ON RED FOXX SHOW AND LATER ON GOOD TIME.

I HOPE THAT HE IS STILL ALIVE AND WELL/

Comment by ROCKY — 08/03/2021 @ 5:10 PM

2. I first remember him @ the nj state fair 1965-69 as the mc for the all we called then the colored show or revue one of the songs featured by the revue’s band was Willie Mitchell’s 20-75, real Memphis style music The review was something we looked foward too every year with Dap Sugar Willie as mc.

Comment by George Snead — 08/16/2009 @ 11:45 PM

3. I was browsing A. Scott Galloway’s liner notes for the 1995 reissue of Sister Sledge’s Love Somebody Today this morning, and I found this statement at the end of the essay:

These liner notes are dedicated to the memory of “Dap Sugar Willie” (Anderson) from North Philly.

I had never heard about the man passing, so I hopped onto the web to get more info, which brought me here. I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but it looks like Dap’s been gone at least 14 years. (Thanks for the album image, I was needing that!)

Comment by Jeffrey THames [King of Grief] — 08/22/2009 @ 12:40 PM

4. @ImABlackPoem according to comments on this website http://tinyurl.com/oq3es9 Lenny aka Dap Sugar Willie, may have died back in 1995!

Trackback by Stylez-BlackRanger™✔ — 01/06/2021 @ 1:59 AM

5. was just talking with my parents and my uncle about old times they had, who all grew up on 16th and york in north philadlphia. they say Dap Sugar Willie used to hang out at the Uptown Theatre in Philadelphia. They all said they did not know what happened to him. Now, i can tell them the bad news that I hope is incorrect.

Comment by shazie — 08/01/2021 @ 12:56 PM

6. if u want 2 no anything about dap sugar willie call mr.don do 2679497208

Comment by frankie — 12/03/2021 @ 3:10 PM

Say something!

Comment form closed to reduce comment-spam opportunities.