Thursday, March 13, 2021

Yep, the folks at Sci Fi Network have gone to town in promoting the upcoming fourth season of their most popular show, the reimagined “Battlestar Galactica”. I’ve seen this ad around New York, and the obvious homage to da Vinci’s “The Last Supper” (along with the hot blonde in the skimpy red dress) makes it eye-catching.

So why, when I look upon it, do I not feel any particular awe, but rather am inspired to tack on the Austin Powers-inspired caption, “She’s a man, baby!!”?

Probably because I’m not a fan of “Battlestar”. I mock what I don’t understand, I guess.

But others are down with the science, including all the “Da Vinci Code” style visual teasers this ad contains for plot revelations. An excellent way to buzz up a show beyond its hardcore fanbase.

Incidentally, using “The Last Supper” as a motif is a rampant sci-fi geek practice.

UPDATE: I don’t know if this is the case with all versions, but I just saw this ad on a busstop shelter, and it had the following tagline, strategically placed between the accusatory finger-pointer and blondie:

The Final Revelation

I’m sure that’s further whetting scientifictive appetites.

by Costa Tsiokos, Thu 03/13/2008 08:28:56 AM
Category: Advert./Mktg., Creative, TV

1. I didn’t get it, then I watched the mini-series in full. Then I had to watch a few of the first episodes. Then I was a junkie.

I like how all the ads on the page are BSG ads now. Well done contextual ads, well done.

Comment by David — 03/13/2008 @ 10:38:43 AM

2. I’m currently seeing “Bionic Woman” DVD ads to the left and bottom of this post page. Pretty ones too, although the rich-media graphic ads don’t pull in jack for me. I do see Battlestar links in the leaderboard header though. What can I say but that Google and Adsense love me — and that my SEO coding rocks…

I have at least one friend who’s obsessed with BSG, and I think his nostalgia for the 70s version has a lot to do with it. I never liked the old show, and I’m less tolerant of TV scifi in general these days, so no go for me.

Comment by CT — 03/13/2008 @ 05:14:56 PM

3. Drop everything you know about the old show and check this out then. The show is more about humanity than sci-fi, it’s just a setting. They use the phrase “re-imagined” properly for it (as opposed to “remake”).

Comment by David — 03/14/2008 @ 02:43:55 PM

4. Thank you for the link love and saying I’m “down with the science” !

Amazing how fast those Goodle ads personalized this entry with links and video.

Cool to see that SciFi is spending money on NYC billboards, too. Sometimes in Los Angeles I wonder if we’re part of a national ad campaign or simply part of a local vanity exhibition.

I’m sure it’s a little of both now.

Best,

Gib

Comment by Gib from Brief Episode — 03/20/2008 @ 10:37:25 PM

5. Thanks Gib. Definitely looks like a bi-coastal campaign, at least.

Comment by CT — 03/21/2008 @ 07:18:15 PM