Saturday, July 29, 2021

cut-up
For years, I didn’t know the name of the horror movie I happened upon on television one afternoon, back in the fabled 1970s.

But I couldn’t forget it. Because the memory of those creepy-malevolent voodoo dolls, scurrying evil-quick in chasing some screamy woman around her apartment, never left me. Even now, I vividly remember the chills my 8-year-old self felt when watching the woman dash into her bathroom, slam the door behind her, and then look down to see a knife carving its way in-and-out under the door. I don’t think I ever had nightmares from this psychotic imagery, but it definitely scared the bejesus out of me.

It wasn’t until much later that I found out the movie was Trilogy of Terror, a made-for-TV schlockfest starring Karen Black. I guess there were two other vignettes that made up the film, but who cares: The action began and ended with the killer voodoo creatures, known as Zuni dolls.

And it wasn’t until even later — yesterday, in fact — that I found out that I wasn’t the only Seventies kid to have this acid-trip of a flick burned into the consciousness.

Which means a generation of tykes were scarred by this crazed afternoon-TV spectacle. If only the V-chip were around back then…

I also found out that the Zuni Fetish Warrior Figure is available for purchase. Doesn’t quite look the same as I remember seeing it, on a tiny black-and-white screen. Just the same, don’t anybody put it on my birthday-gift list.

by Costa Tsiokos, Sat 07/29/2006 08:50:46 PM
Category: Movies

1. OMG! I totally remembered this flick! Bad flashback! {{{{burrrrrrr, burying myself under the covers!}}}

Comment by DJ — 07/29/2006 @ 10:05:51 PM

2. I completly remember that movie. I was born in 74 and had child like flash backs for years. I recently caught the same flick on cable somewhere and watched it. I laughed. I think I’m getting a Zuni doll tattoed on me. Right on my forearm!!

Comment by Ronald — 08/04/2021 @ 03:23:01 PM

3. That’s one way to conquer your kid fears, I guess… Be sure to post a photo of that tat online!

Comment by CT — 08/04/2021 @ 04:43:16 PM

4. I was searching this movie for years and !wow I cant believe i found it, I was 8 years old and now Im 36 years old I’ll never forget this terrifying movie I just remember like if is was yesterday

Comment by Ennith — 08/10/2021 @ 05:37:55 PM

5. LITTLE ZUNI SCISSORS!

Call it a case of unfortunate embedded mental imagery.
    When most people view the television commercial for Discover Card’s “What If” campaign, they see little walking scissors, rendered cutesy by whimsical background music and imag…

Trackback by Population Statistic — 09/11/2021 @ 08:47:28 PM

6. I can’t believe I found this movie, I was also about 8 years old when I saw this horrible movie, I can tell you that until this day that doll hunts me and I still have nightmares. But i still hope my kids see it and get scared.

Comment by Ruby — 12/20/2007 @ 04:46:16 PM

7. you can find this movie at mininova and download it for free, i did, just wanted to relive my nightmares lol……..

Comment by mongo — 12/21/2007 @ 05:35:15 PM

8. I have been trying to remember the name to this movie for years. I, too was born in 1974 and this movie scared the heck out of me for the longest time. I think this is why I had so many nightmares about dolls!

Comment by Amy — 02/12/2021 @ 03:44:00 PM

9. It’s amazing! until yesterday i had the weak remember of a woman and a little and scary black doll with a tiny knife, cutting her feet and legs. And i find the name of the movie after a google research! i’m happy now because it was’nt a childhood nightmare, was a real picture! and i’m agreed, is one of the most creepy scenes of the history, just like IT’S ALIVE the green baby killer, remember?

Comment by Pirucho — 02/19/2008 @ 05:27:31 PM