Thursday, July 20, 2021

for the masses
for the chosen

At the risk of turning this blog into a complete Britney Spears obsess-a-thon, I present the limited-edition subscriber version of the aforementioned pregnant Harper’s Bazaar cover for August. Newsstand version is included here on top, for all us hoi-polloi who pick up their provocative women’s mags on the street.

Thanks go to Chaz at Dustbury.com, who not only provided the alternate cover image scan, but also bravely admitted to having a subscription to said mag. I rightly surmised that his high-class blog was no proper home for such smutty imagery; so I gladly volunteered to display it here. I couldn’t refuse — I’ve already set such the precedent bar so low, after all.

The alternate cover is actually in the mainstream issue, as the opening image in the issue’s photo spread. I can only guess that the subscriber edition has the “regular” cover picture as its intro to the photo spread.

I dunno about you, but I think I’m all Britneyed out. At least until the anticipated divorce announcement.

by Costa Tsiokos, Thu 07/20/2006 11:49:01 PM
Category: Celebrity, Publishing, Women

1. Actually, the photo spread seems to be identical in both newsstand and subscriber copies; the newsstand cover photo does not appear in the subscriber issues at all.

Comment by CGHill — 07/21/2006 @ 07:15:45 AM

2. So you’re saying the subscription cover photo is reprinted inside? Makes life easier production-wise, but odd.

Comment by CT — 07/21/2006 @ 09:07:51 AM

3. naked pregnant women are hot.

Comment by liz — 07/21/2006 @ 09:23:04 AM

4. I rather expected that the newsstand cover picture would be part of the feature, that they’d merely swapped the two for the two different distribution channels. They didn’t do that.

This isn’t the first time Bazaar has thrown alternate covers at subscribers, either.

Comment by CGHill — 07/21/2006 @ 11:06:01 AM

5. liz: I guess, then, we can expect your birthday-suit cover photo on the next issue of American Lawyer Monthly? There’s a collectors’ item for you! ;)

CG: Production-wise, it’s a nightmare to run a different interior page for a different print run, especially if it’s just one page. The cover’s a lot easier to switch in and out (thus all those “collect all four” alternate covers you see on TV Guide, etc.). So it’s not too surprising. I’d have thought Harper’s would have used a totally different photo for the alterna-cover, though.

Comment by CT — 07/23/2006 @ 04:03:36 PM

6. You’re nobody ’til Photoshop loves you

Cathryn Michon, Grrl Genius, is drop-dead gorgeous, and it’s all an illusion, she says: Yes, that is a picture of me but it is a professional retouched picture of me….

Trackback by dustbury.com — 07/26/2006 @ 03:42:49 PM

7. PREGNANT MAG COVER, CHRISTINA AGUILERA EDITION…

I guess Britney Spears set the baby-belly-baring bar last year, so naturally Christina Aguilera couldn’t help but respond in kind, smack on the front of the upcoming January issue of Marie Claire.
    Which one is the pop-tartiest? Dead heat, I say. …

Trackback by Population Statistic — 11/28/2007 @ 10:39:57 PM