Sunday, April 30, 2021

Well, I gave it an extra week, but I guess the second edition of the Guess That Song game didn’t inspire as many guesses. It’s a fickle blogosphere.

For the sake of closure, here are the answers to the two remaining lyrics:

1. The voice of reason is one I left so far behind. - The Go Go’s, “Head Over Heels”

5. This is the game that moves as you play. - X, “The Have-Nots”

I’m a little surprised the first one wasn’t detected, as it’s an old pop standard. Both bands are fixtures from the Los Angeles scene of the ’80s, so there’s that linkage.

Anyway, in the spirit of further linking, I now present the third go-round of Guess That Song, with a twist: A theme.

In this case, the common thread will be the question mark. Each of the following lyrics are in the form of a query, as they were originally posed in song. Maybe that helps your recall, maybe it doesn’t. We’ll see. Personally, the presentation of said questions, stripped of their melodic context, gives them something of an ironic/comical edge; so I’m already amused.

On to it. Same rules apply as before: Provide the name of the song and the artist to any or all of the lyrics, and I’ll post your answer(s), along with a link to your website/blog.

1. The Doors, “Hello, I Love You” [David]
Do you think you’ll be the guy to make the queen of the angels sigh?

2. Gloria Gaynor, “I Will Survive” [Tim in Tampa]
Weren’t you the one who tried to break me with goodbye?

3. Beastie Boys, “So Whatcha Want” [Andrew]
You think that you can front when revelation comes?

4. The Beatles, “With a Little Help From My Friends” [Thud]
What do you see when you turn out the light?

5. New Order, “Bizarre Love Triangle” [Joel]
Why can’t we be ourselves like we were yesterday?

I’m hoping to see each one of these blanks filled in within a week! If not, I think I’ll bag this series.

by Costa Tsiokos, Sun 04/30/2006 11:37pm
Category: Pop Culture, Question Time!

1. It takes some skill; you quickly discover that there’s a lot more diversity in music than you may have thought, even with the current major label push towards homogenization.

#4: I can’t tell you, but I know it’s mine. The Beatles: With a Little Help From My Friends.

Comment by Thud — 05/01/2021 @ 8:36 AM

2. 2. Is, of course, I Will Survive, by Gloria Gaynor. Or Cake, if that’s your flavor. Or the drunk woman on Wednesday nights at the Hangout. Though I doubt that’s anyone’s flavor.

Comment by tim in tampa — 05/01/2021 @ 10:01 AM

3. I know #1 but I can’t place the $%# song :)

3. “Yeah, you can’t front on that” Beastie Boys, “So Watcha Want”

Comment by Andrew — 05/01/2021 @ 4:28 PM

4. Winners all!

Thud: My biggest challenge is to avoid using too-obscure artists/songs. Then again, I don’t want to make them too-too obvious.

Tim: You can add practically every wedding I’ve gone to in the past 10 years, where a bride-and-bridesmaid conga line would inevitably do a drunken tribute to Ms. Gaynor’s standard. And isn’t it ironic that Cake did a cover of this song — and then, y’know, didn’t survive. (Yeah, yeah, I’m sure they’re still playing in some club somewhere and releasing tracks on the Web; whatever.)

Andrew: It’s maddening, isn’t it? That accompanying melody can be crucial.

Comment by CT — 05/01/2021 @ 5:11 PM

5. #1 is “Hello I Love You” by The Doors — pure classic. Even my 14-y/o daughter loves the Doors — she just bought their greatest hits.

Comment by david — 05/02/2021 @ 7:35 AM

6. I guess I’ll finish it off - #5 is Bizarre Love Triangle by New Order - “I’m not sure what this could mean.”

Comment by Joel — 05/02/2021 @ 9:17 AM

7. And finished off it is, with those two correct-o entries. A quick one this time; thanks to everyone!

David: I didn’t buy the Greatest Hits, but I did rip a couple of songs off it from my brother’s copy. I’ve been over-saturated by Doors songs over the years; at this point, there’s only a couple I can stand to listen to anymore. Oh to be 14 again…

Joel: I also would have accepted Frente!’s notable acoustic version. I don’t think you’re what you seem.

Comment by CT — 05/02/2021 @ 9:53 AM

8. GUESS THAT SONG, PART 4: BOOTY TIME!

Just when I was ready to give up on it, last week’s Guess That Song post got rapid-fire action.
    Damn. That means I’ve got to do another one. And with a theme, yet. Smacks of work.
    But hey, anything for fun. So in that spirit, let me link…

Trackback by Population Statistic — 05/07/2021 @ 11:52 PM

Say something!

Comment moderation might kick in, so please do not hit the "Say It!" button more than once.