Wednesday, April 26, 2021

Just wondering: How do you come up with a group spanking session involving your entire sales team, and not expect to be sued over it?

Janet Orlando, 53, quit her job at the home security company Alarm One Inc. in Fresno and sued, alleging discrimination, assault, battery and infliction of emotional distress.

Employees were paddled with rival companies’ yard signs as part of a contest that pitted sales teams against each other, according to court documents. The winners poked fun at the losers, throwing pies at them, feeding them baby food, making them wear diapers and swatting their buttocks.

“No reasonable middle-aged woman would want to be put up there before a group of young men, turned around to show her buttocks, get spanked and called abusive names, and told it was to increase sales and motivate employees,” her lawyer, Nicholas “Butch” Wagner, said in his closing argument.

Sounds like some gung-ho team leader OD’d on too many viewings of Animal House the night before. Next thing you know, someone’s going to frag Niedermeyer.

- Costa Tsiokos, Wed 04/26/2006 11:47:20 PM
Category: Business, Society | Permalink |

1. You’re going to get spanked one way or another-the openness of this abuse is almost refreshing.

Having said that, it would be interesting to go back to the first time the manager offered this “contest.” With any wacky corporate program like this, there’s that moment where the masses can shoot it down like so many Hawaiian shirt days. In this instance, they accepted it. Either their management are epic salespeople or their workforce are spineless.

I’d love to see my manager try to get me to eat baby food or wear a diaper (not to mention the other stuff). I may end up in jail, but I’d have my pride intact.

C’mon people, have some self-respect…

Comment by Andrew — 04/27/2006 @ 08:55:41 AM

2. I think if the circumstances were right, anyone can put up with crap that, in retrospect, is far out of line. Especially if you have a lot at stake — and when it comes to your job, a lot of people have a lot at stake.

Also, this behavior doesn’t surprise me one bit, considering one of the tech companies I worked for, and _several_ of the tech companies I’ve interviewed at.

Comment by Thud — 04/27/2006 @ 09:23:18 AM

3. There’s “out of line” and then there’s being spanked while being dressed and fed like a baby.

Comment by Andrew — 04/27/2006 @ 09:50:03 AM

4. It’s groupthink compounded by anxiety over keeping your job. This is an extreme case, but there are so many less sever outcroppings of it in every office practically every day: Office birthday parties for people you’d normally avoid like the plague, etc.

Comment by CT — 04/27/2006 @ 05:52:13 PM

5. It is an episode of “the office.”

Comment by tommy — 04/28/2006 @ 01:01:35 PM