Monday, April 10, 2021

It’s with only the barest smidgen of guilt that I’m blatantly ripping off Thudfactor John’s “Guess Ten” music quiz contest.

Well, actually, I’m going to do only five songs. I know my short attention-span audience — the briefer, the better.

But the rest of it holds. I drop a bit of obscure lyricism (my favorite vein of pop cultural gold), and you submit a Feedback with the artist and song title. You can provide the answers to as many or as few as you choose. First correct answer per lyric gets credited in the post, on this front page (before it slips into archives after a week), complete with link to your site. Yes, think of the traffic!

Rules are fairly fast and loose, but obviously, search-engine cheating is strongly discouraged. Accuracy counts, so do try to get it as close as possible. Source material will hopefully be eclectic, but will probably focus on the ’80s and ’90s, mainly pop (but with plenty of margin for variance).

So, enough prattling. Here we go:

1. Public Enemy, “Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos” [Joel, half-point to John]
It occurred to me, the suckers had authority.

2. Duran Duran, “Union of the Snake” [G]
There’s a fine line drawing the senses together and I think it’s about to break.

3. Positive K, “I Got a Man” [G]
Your man’s a headache, I’ll be your aspirin.

4. Sleater-Kinney, “All Hands On the Bad One” [Andrew]
The night before, they were calling it your cocktail dress.

5. Butthole Surfers, “Pepper” [Andrew]
She was sharin’ Sharon’s outlook on the topic of disease.

Have at it. Good luck!

by Costa Tsiokos, Mon 04/10/2021 08:17:28 AM
Category: Pop Culture, Question Time!

1. The version of #1 I have is Black Steel by Tricky, but I’m pretty certain that’s a cover.

Comment by John — 04/10/2021 @ 09:27:06 PM

2. Nice with the Tricky mention. I was going to mention both original and cover but I’ve only been able to come up with 3 out of 5 songs. What does 60% get me?

Comment by Joel — 04/10/2021 @ 11:10:10 PM

3. Hmm, I’m not seeing any answers here…

I’ll consider a half-point for Tricky, but I’ll wait to see if anyone comes up with the original.

Comment by CT — 04/10/2021 @ 11:27:10 PM

4. #4 Sleater-Kinney “All Hands On the Bad One” (rockin’ song)

#5 Butthole Surfers “Pepper” (haven’t heard that one forever, but it all came back to me)

Comment by Andrew — 04/11/2021 @ 07:09:53 AM

5. Correct-o, on both counts!

Keep ‘em coming, folks. Don’t be shy.

Comment by CT — 04/11/2021 @ 09:31:32 AM

6. And here I thought I needed to come up with all five.

#1 is Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos by Public Enemy.

Andrew got the other two I knew, so sucks to be me.

Comment by Joel — 04/11/2021 @ 10:38:35 AM

7. Aha, I didn’t mean to imply all-or-nothing. Hopefully it’s clearer now.

And you nailed the PE. Congrats!

Comment by CT — 04/11/2021 @ 10:42:12 AM

8. #2 is Duran Duran. “The Reflex”? I cna hear the snippet in my head but not the whole song.

Man, I’m embarrassed. Hey, I was 11. It seemed good at the time.

Comment by RL — 04/12/2021 @ 01:57:24 PM

9. Right artist, wrong song.

Shame over admitting you know that song is part of the fun!

Comment by CT — 04/12/2021 @ 02:46:43 PM

10. #2 is Union of the Snake by Duran Duran… not Reflex. :-) “voices in your body coming through on the radio- oh -oh”

Comment by G — 04/12/2021 @ 03:45:54 PM

11. You got it! One of DD’s lesser-known songs, but probably my favorite from them.

Only one lyric snippet left to be identified! Y’all put on your thinking caps!! Who’ll complete the set?

Comment by CT — 04/12/2021 @ 03:59:36 PM

12. #3 - It’s “I got a man..” but I can’t for the life of me remember who “sang” it. I refuse to Google it too… it’ll either come to me or it won’t. Another great line from that song “Are you a chef? ‘Cuz you keep feeding me soup!”

Comment by G — 04/13/2006 @ 03:58:53 PM

13. Argh… right after I clicked “Say it”. It’s Positive K!

Comment by G — 04/13/2006 @ 03:59:21 PM

14. You gots it! Thus completing the set!

Thanks to everyone for playing. I’ll do up another five for next week.

Comment by CT — 04/13/2006 @ 07:32:16 PM

15. GUESS THAT SONG, PART 2: THE REVENGE

Last week’s Guess That Song lyric game was well-received, so let’s give it another spin!

Same deal as before: I provide snippets from five songs (most likely pop songs past and present), you guess the artist and title for any or all (no Googling, …

Trackback by Population Statistic — 04/17/2006 @ 08:35:33 AM