Sunday, February 12, 2021

Be careful of what you wish for, I suppose.

I’m seeing plenty of snow today, along with the rest of the Northeast. The Nor’easter that came through last night has dumped an average of a foot of snow through the area. It’s on pace to be the second-heaviest snowfall on record.

Does Roomba make a snowblower?

Actually, from my vantage point, this storm’s really not looking all that terrible. Yes, there’s a lot of white stuff coming down. But the wind doesn’t seem too vicious, aside from brief gusts every 15 minutes. And I’m not seeing any damage being done — no power outages or tree damage. It’d be a challenge to drive anywhere today, but as I’m not planning on going anyplace on this Sunday, I don’t see a problem with staying cocooned indoors.

It’s kind of funny. When the storm tracking began Friday night, I detected a certain dread in the air. People headed to the grocery stores for drinking water and other supplies, events were being cancelled… Could it be? It was very reminiscent of the familiar hurricane pre-panic that I’d gotten so sick of in Tampa Bay, except ratcheted down several notches. I guess you can’t escape weather anxiety no matter where you go.

Anyway, nothing to do but ride this one out. Meanwhile, I’ve got a nice view of the continuing accumulation, with a couple of little ponds icing over. Could be worse.

- Costa Tsiokos, Sun 02/12/2021 11:44:54 AM
Category: Weather, New Yorkin' | Permalink |

1. What snow?

Comment by David — 02/12/2021 @ 09:38:56 PM

2. That’s the spirit… Excuse me while I grab my shovel.

Comment by CT — 02/12/2021 @ 10:10:47 PM

3. i’m guessing florida’s looking a lot better right now. :^)

Comment by anon — 02/13/2006 @ 03:14:27 PM

4. Weather-wise, I guess. Otherwise, nah.

Comment by CT — 02/13/2006 @ 03:48:29 PM

5. THE MILD BLIZZARD OF ‘06

I was fairly unimpressed with this past weekend’s big snowstorm.

And I was justified in dishing out the dis. Because despite the record-breaking snowfall, it turns out that this “blizzard” really wasn’t all that:

Because the track of this sto…

Trackback by Population Statistic — 02/15/2006 @ 09:18:07 AM