Thursday, December 08, 2021

This morning, while passing by the security guard kiosk at work on the way to the elevators, I noticed something sitting on the unofficial lost-and-found countertop.

It was not one, not two, but three pairs of eyeglasses. Even in an office building with around a thousand people in it during the daytime, it’s rather unusual to see a hat-trick of items like that lined up. And not only did they all look practically brand-new, but they had very similar frames.

Is there an epidemic of people losing their specs around here? Maybe I’d better take extra-special care with mine, lest they go flying off my face.

UPDATE: Weirder and weirder: I just passed by the area again, on the way out to lunch… and there were five or six pairs of glasses there. Plus a carrying case for one of them!

I’m starting to wonder if there’s a scavenger hunt going on…

- Costa Tsiokos, Thu 12/08/2021 08:44:59 AM
Category: General | Permalink |

1. Yeah, but if they’re like me, they go all Magoo when their glasses come off and can’t see them to find them anyway.

I’m like a reverse f’n Superman.

Comment by David — 12/08/2021 @ 12:27:46 PM

2. Well, there’s no way for me to misplace my glasses, because aside from bedtime, they never come off. Pretty much blind without them (although it’s sometimes fun to take them off and walk a few paces).

Comment by CT — 12/08/2021 @ 02:08:59 PM

3. Awesome! I was in your building yesterday, and the security guy and I had a very silly discussion about those glasses! We started off simply surmising, and ended up mimicking blind drivers and making quite the ruckus!

There were only three pairs there, then. I should have called you!

Comment by r* — 12/08/2021 @ 02:11:19 PM

4. Just walked by our Security Desk in the lobby and one of our employees was turning over a pair of glasses she had just found… I could hear myself laughing out loud, noticed people looking at me, but, couldn’t control myself. I might walk over tomorrow and check out the Times Building Glasses Shrine for myself. My best guess to this riddle are those wacky snow birds.

Comment by Hunk Oman — 12/08/2021 @ 04:41:35 PM

5. Uncontrollable laughter, prompted by blog minutae? Bad sign, pal; I think you’re about to go bonkers! If you do stroll over, have them give me a buzz — I’ll bring you that candy bar you’re hankering for.

And Miss Rachel: Love to know what you were doing in my neck of the ‘hood….

Comment by CT — 12/08/2021 @ 08:03:33 PM