Wednesday, August 10, 2021

Is it worth $20 grand to cruise through superfluous legal courses? That’s the question as there’s a groundswell movement to either eliminate the third year of law school, or else bulk it up.

More sentiment is going toward condensing the experience to two years, if only to save students the extra year’s expense. The additional expected benefit is the enabling of less debt-burdened grads to more managably shoot for dream public-service jobs instead of high-paying gigs.

It would, no doubt, help with the typical burnout many law students experience. I found it funny that three acquaintences I knew all made it through their three-year stints, and subsequently decided they didn’t want to practice law after all. (They all wound up passing the Bar, eventually; but it speaks to how much of a strain the full ride puts on you.)

I’d be interested in hearing what a current law student thinks about this.

- Costa Tsiokos, Wed 08/10/2021 11:26:24 PM
Category: General | Permalink |

1. I thinkif I had to do all that work in 2 years, I would die.

Most people do not understand the enormity of mental focus it takes to digest this kind of material in any meaningful way.

Law school is the first time in my life where I’m like, “Sh*t, c’mon, brain, power up!” It’s just hard.

I don’t think two years would produce very effective lawyers unless we were gonna start limiting who could practice what type of law, which seems like a bad idea.

Comment by r* — 08/11/2021 @ 01:40:06 AM

2. Without going into too much detail, I’ve been around lawyers for a dozen years. I say make it four years. Weed out more of the hacks and money mongers. If your gonna shorten school then make the Bar exam tougher. I’m not buying the save em $ so they’ll become public defenders argument. There are already programs in place to help loan repayment if you’re in public service. There should be more as opposed to making it easier for people to enter this profession. Should we let doctors have less schooling to save em some cash?

Comment by tiny — 08/11/2021 @ 09:52:54 AM

3. If your gonna shorten school then make the Bar exam tougher.

Certainly the Florida bar exam could stand to have an upgrade. It’s kind of considered a joke next to most other states’.

Comment by tim — 08/11/2021 @ 10:15:40 AM

4. I knew that a lot of out-of-state lawyers take the Florida Bar just to get it and make doing business here easier. I wasn’t aware that it was considered a relative breeze compared to other states’, though.

Comment by CT — 08/12/2021 @ 09:32:06 AM

5. To all current attorneys who believe the exam is too easy, two comments. First, the passing score was raised to a 136 a couple years back for no legitimate purpose other than to protect the monopoly. Second, if the exam is so relevant to the practice of law, it would be only logical to have every attorney in the state re-examined every 5 years.

Comment by David — 08/26/2005 @ 12:55:02 AM

6. CHIPPING AWAY AT THAT THIRD YEAR

Looks like last summer’s idea of eliminating the third year of law school is gaining steam: A study from the Indiana University Center for Postsecondary Research concludes that the first two years are where the meat is.
    Among the survey’…