Wednesday, March 23, 2021

love me tendercrisp
Thank you, Aaron McGruder. Not only for today’s funny strip, but also for ensuring that this blog’s Hootielanch will continue unabated for a while yet.

Get all your “Burger King - Fantasy Ranch” action here.

Seriously, this wacky ad has some serious legs to it. My traffic is booming like crazy, and it’s just about all thanks to search results for this commercial. Journalists, take notice.

by Costa Tsiokos, Wed 03/23/2005 10:40:40 PM
Category: Advert./Mktg., Pop Culture

7 Feedbacks
  1. Maybe you should register ‘www.tendercrispbaconcheddarranchstatistic.com’

Comment by The Belt — 03/24/2005 @ 08:51:17 AM

2. Darius Rucker gets no respect
    The Burger King “Tendercrisp Bacon Cheddar Ranch” ad continues to get major play, especially by bloggers. Costa Tsiokos informs that Aaron McGruder even dissed Darius Rucker’s presence in today’s “The Boondocks” comic strip.

Trackback by AdJab — 03/24/2005 @ 09:33:20 AM

3. I don’t dislike this commercial because it strips Darius Rucker of any pretense of artistic integrity or credibility - namely because he never had any to begin with. We are talking about Hootie here after all. I just think the commercial is irredeemably dopey.

Yeah, I know it’s meant to be, but there’s a fine line between smart stupid and stupid stupid. The reason people are responding to it is not because it’s spectacularly witty or clever but because it has more T&A than five seasons of “Baywatch.”

It’s certainly got a lot of people talking - which is more than can be said of those lame McDonald’s commercials. But if you take away the flashy production values, it’s just as inane as most fast food advertising.

Take a look at other boards. There are just as many people who hate it as like it. And even many of those who say they like it say it doesn’t make them want to actually order the sandwich. And that, when all is said and done, is what the commercial is supposed to do: stimulate sales, not sandwiches.

This whole thing has been hyped to death. They’ve even got me talking about it (although I still won’t go to BK). Damn you, Burger King, damn you all to hell!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Luca Brasi — 03/24/2005 @ 11:10:12 AM

4. Wait. I meant to say that the commercial is meant to stimulate sales, not conversation. Damn!

Comment by Luca Brasi — 03/24/2005 @ 11:15:54 AM

5. Conversation, sandwiches, either way it’s something in your mouth…

Ultimately, this ad will be judged by how many feet it gets through BK’s doors. Plenty of fantastic advertising pieces have failed because they did “too good” a job, and forgot to sell the product.

Like you, I haven’t gone into BK to get the sandwich, and I fully don’t expect to (I hate bacon, anyway). But I still love the ad, just as I get a lot of enjoyment out of a lot of beer commercials, despite my general distate for the beer. That doesn’t mean those ads don’t achieve their overarching, mass-market goals.

I’ll cite the following anecdote from the Adweek case study of Subservient Chicken, BK’s last notable campaign:

[Crispin Porter creative director Andrew] Keller says he knows only anecdotal results, but to him, they lean toward the positive. “Foot traffic is my biggest concern,” he says. “I want people going to BK, talking about BK. I got a call from a friend of my wife. She said, ‘I was in Burger King and I don’t know why.’ That to me is an effect of advertising.”

Comment by CT — 03/24/2005 @ 12:06:08 PM

6. Hootie’s BK ad makes comic strip history
    AdFreak’s daily comics-reading ritual was interrupted by a sudden craving for lite rock and bacon strips, thanks to Thursday’s “Boondocks” strip.

In it, the cartoon’s jaded teenage brothers lament the fact that the latest Burger King spot fro…

Trackback by AdFreak — 03/25/2005 @ 12:01:01 PM

7. I don’t like that commercial because the guy in the “Burger King” mask freaks me out.

His cartoon is gonna suck!!!

Comment by Denys — 04/13/2005 @ 04:01:35 PM