Population Statistic: Read. React. Repeat.
Monday, March 07, 2021

It was bound to happen sooner or later… Last week, Population Statistic was cited as a source in The News Record, a campus newspaper for the University of Cincinnati.

The topic was Reggie Fowler’s bid to buy the NFL’s Minnesota Vikings, which I noted was plagued by several inconsistencies in Fowler’s personal and professional background:

“Fowler, a star linebacker at Wyoming, was actually cut in training camp by the Bengals and also by the Edmonton Eskimos - not the Stampeders. Clarifying the Little League confusion, Fowler said he played with an all-star team at a tournament in California that was called the World Series,” according to www.populationstatistic.com.

Nice, huh? I’ll take any media mention I get (it would have been nice to have that URL hyperlinked, but what can you do).

Except… Those factoids aren’t “according to” this blog at all. They were, in turn, cited by me from the original report from USA Today. The distinction is more acute because the News Record writer goes on to reference USA Today in the very next paragraph.

So, the reportage is a bit sloppy, matching the overall clunkiness of the piece (both in argument and presentation). I guess you can’t expect much more from a college paper; they are in training mode. Everytime I get to wondering about the overall quality of print journalism, a peek at minor leagues gives me great reassurance.

- Costa Tsiokos, Mon 03/07/2021 05:26:10 PM

Trackback this entry: Right-click and copy link
2 Feedbacks
  1. a hyperlink would have been nice, huh? But you got a mention (clunky as it is), so that should increase your traffic somewhat.

Congrats!

Comment by tommy — 03/08/2021 @ 12:30:31 PM

2. Thanks. But that “somewhat” part probably won’t amount to much. People don’t copy-and-paste URLs; if it’s not attainable via a simple click, they aren’t going to bother with it.

Besides, I’m not in it for the traffic, G, just the love. (Don’t look at the Hootie post when you read this.)

Comment by CT — 03/08/2021 @ 12:43:13 PM

RSS feed for feedback on this post.