Tuesday, December 07, 2021

Ladies, are you still clinging to those hose? Then you’re officially a fashion casualty, because pantyhose, stockings and the like are out of style, according to those who concern themselves with such matters.

I guess I’ve noticed of late the prevalence of bare legs among the womenfolk. But being in Florida, where the climate makes regular outfitting in hosiery uncomfortable, I figured it was strictly a regional matter. I was unaware that it was so widespread.

As long as you’ve got the leggage to pull it off, rock on. If not, consider sticking to pants and creative cover-ups.

by Costa Tsiokos, Tue 12/07/2021 07:27pm
Category: Fashion, Women
| Permalink |

9 Feedbacks
  1. [...] a Tsiokos Thursday, December 16, 2021 IN DEFENSE OF HOSIERY Last week’s post about the passing of the pantyhose elicited more r [...]

Pingback by IN DEFENSE OF HOSIERY Population Statistic — 12/16/2004 @ 2:40 PM

2. Bullsh*t.

Stockings aren’t popular anymore because most women learned how to dress in a social climate that encourages equality over coquetry and utility over aesthetic.

And, Costa, I know you didn’t just call me a fashion casualty. No, you didn’t. (Picture me jutting my chin out aggressively and popping three snaps in a Z - while wearing stockings)

Comment by r* — 12/08/2021 @ 1:31 PM

3. I haven’t worn pantyhose in … hmmmm…. I don’t remember when.

Comment by annette — 12/08/2021 @ 3:38 PM

4. As a legwatcher of long, um, standing, I probably should say something here, but I won’t.

Comment by CGHill — 12/08/2021 @ 3:53 PM

5. R*: Hey, I’m just the messenger. What do I know about fashion-forward: I’m currently growing out my sideburns, and they’re supposed to be vieille mode.

That said, if you’re holding onto your stockings — given the reasons you stated for why they’re really less prevalent — are you engaging in aesthetic coquetry?

Annette: It’s safe to say you’ve adjusted.

CG: Funny, I figured you for a breast man…

Comment by CT — 12/08/2021 @ 4:52 PM

6. I’m not even going to ask how you reached that conclusion. :)

Comment by CGHill — 12/09/2021 @ 8:56 AM

7. Maybe?

I guess I just think all four concepts can be reconciled where most people think they cancel each other out.

Comment by r* — 12/09/2021 @ 2:28 PM

8. Sheer indifference
    Over at Population Statistic, our old pal CT has been wrestling with a question he really doesn’t care that much about: is hosiery obsolete? “Since I’m not really a leg…

Trackback by dustbury.com — 12/16/2004 @ 7:54 PM

9. Stocking up

Washington Post fashion editor Robin Givhans notes in Harper’s Bazaar (September, the one that weighs eight or nine pounds): The difference between fashion in Washington, D.C. and New York can…

Trackback by dustbury.com — 08/17/2006 @ 9:30 PM

Say something!

Comment form closed to reduce comment-spam opportunities.